Thursday, February 4, 2010

Eff this snow in the EYE

Not that snow has an eye, but still. My shower is/was scheduled for this Saturday. Unfortunately, 12 inches of snow is ALSO scheduled for Friday into Saturday, spanning the entire area the guests are coming from. Snow for South Jersey, Pennsylvania, Central Jersey, and Long Island. 40 guests in two shifts, months of my sister's planning, multiple headaches, a ton of money, and 12 inches of snow.

On the ( small) positive side, my sister will be able to cancel the food and cakes she ordered. All the decorations and gift bags will keep. But, I am almost 35 weeks pregnant. I have high blood pressure and gestational diabetes. Both of which can lead to early delivery. I was thrilled to make it this far. I have no idea if I can keep Sea Monkey inside to make it to a postponed shower. I am afraid of any date more than two weeks from Saturday.

I don't feel bad for me, but I do feel bad for my sister and everyone that was/is invited. My sister has turned her house upside down and she and my step mom have been planning and cooking and cleaning. My sister even hired a maid and someone to come in and clean her carpets.

Stupid winter. Stupid snow. My sister in what I can only call temporary insanity asked " what if we made it for Sunday?"
I said " Superbowl Sunday? Are you nuts? Either no one will come, or everyone will be watching football."

My ob was very happy with my blood sugar and blood pressure yesterday. I bring her in my tracking sheets each visit. She told me in two weeks they are going to take a look at my cervix( there will probably be spiderwebs down there)and test me for that thing. What do you call it? Whatever that bacteria thing is they check you for. And then I will be going every week till D- Day.

Mister finished painting the nursery yesterday. It looks lovely, very tranquil. He put up some pictures. He put together our crib. Ummm. The crib. Umm. IT IS HUGE. By huge, I mean, dwarfs our petite nursery. Makes us doubt we can fit in a dresser. Means we will have to take out my huge, comfy, squishy, much loved chair that I had anticipated nursing in.

I love that chair, and believe me a 70 year old house DOES NOT easily accommodate over stuffed furniture. We could barely fit it in the door. We could barely fit it up the stairs. SOMEONE ( ahem, Mister) wanted me to throw it away instead of figuring out how to get it in the house. Just to get it in the room we had to shove, push, take off the legs, wiggle and plead it through the doorway. Prompting Mister to say" This chair is NEVER leaving this room". Except now it is.

I looked at Ikea to see if I could find a chair with a small profile that I could put in there. Ugh. We will probably wait and see after everything else is in there. I suppose it is not the end of the world if I have to get in bed or go downstairs everytime I want to feed Sea Monkey. But I was really looking forward to cuddling in my snuggly chair in the tranquil nursery.

Anyhow, in happier news Sea Monkey is very wiggley today and I can watch him squirm under my shirt. Very alien-esque.

11 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

Eek! You have something growing inside you! I bet Sea Monkey will be sad if you don't keep that chair. Maybe it would fit on top of the dresser? (the chair, not sea monkey)

There's an idea.

Michelle said...

Freakin snow!
The Superbowl doesn't actually start till 6 or something like that, can you have the shower early Sunday?
I know your not too upset about missing it.. but all that work!
Stay safe over the weekend, with or without your shower and enjoy the snow.

Sunny said...

Oh no, sorry about the snow!!! My shower is Saturday as well, but it's supposed to be quite nice in Seattle. The first danged thing to go right this whole pregnancy.

I hope you can reschedule and still make the shower.

areyoukiddingme said...

That sucks - a giant blizzard screwing up your shower. I hope it gets rescheduled promptly.

I hoe you can find a place for your comfy chair...but you might be surprised what your best place for feeding is.

Anonymous said...

i went into labor one week after my shower, i was pushing the limits too. i hope your little guy stays put until you're ready for him to come. i'm sorry you can't keep the chair in the nursery, is there any way you can put it in your bedroom or somewhere close by? you're going to want it.

battynurse said...

Dang snow. I hate snow. I hope you figure out the bedroom stuff.

Lorraine said...

I guess I'd just do whatever your sister wants to do - if you end up in the hospital there's not much to be done about it.

But, more importantly - try to keep the chair! I didn't have a good chair when my daughter was a baby and I always wanted one (but my husband didn't want to spend money on furniture that would be used only temporarily). This time I got a fabulous glider and too bad if it blocks half the closet.

I didn't get the matching ottoman because there really wasn't enough room for it and also everyone says they are not the right height for nursing - those ugly little slanted stools are a must, even if you end up nursing on the couch. One blogger ("G") got ingrown toenails from pushing on the balls of her feet while nursing and it was so painful she had to have toe surgery on both feet. I nursed in bed mostly and ended up with back problems, even after getting some elaborate wedge pillow and knee support thing.

Do you ever look at oh-dee-doh.com? Some of the nursery tours show really, really small rooms with all kinds of stuff crammed in there. Of course, they're all staged out for the photo shoots, but you can see how people manage to get a lot into a small space.

Anyway, good luck! With the shower, too!

AnotherDreamer said...

Stupid freaking snow. We're getting snow too, but not quite that much. The storm system will only be bringing us 3-6 inches... but most likely bringing sleet first. Yay.

Sorry. And sorry about the chair :(

Anonymous said...

don't be scared, you won't have a sucky labor like i did, there are plenty of people who have easy labors and if you have a c-section you won't be in labor for twenty hours first like i was, so your recovery won't be as bad.

heartincharge said...

aww that sucks. I'm not even pregnant yet and I am looking forward to my shower. (i guess i sound like a non-engaged gal looking forward to her wedding, but i digress)
I'm so sorry and hopefully you can reschedule!

Jana said...

Here from LFCA with a joke--kindof corny, but it is my go to joke that I can always remember. Ready?

Why do seagulls live by the sea?

because if they lived by the bay, they'd be bagels.