Monday, February 1, 2010

Things I am still afraid of

We are getting closer. It really came home to me yesterday when Mister and I were talking. We were going to buy my sister a big present to thank her for
A. keeping Mom so we could get pregnant.
B. keeping Mom for the whole pregnancy except two weeks so I could rest and not be nagged to death.
C.planning the shower.
D.keeping Mom for the first three months after he gets here so I am not dealing with TWO needy babies.


Anyhow, it turns out she was going to hire someone to scrape and paint and re-caulk her bathroom. Which Mister knows how to do from... scraping and painting and re-caulking OUR bathroom. So I asked her if she preferred that to something else and she said yes.

However, Mister would be going up in two weeks and he pointed out that no way is he leaving me alone overnight at 36 weeks. I never thought of that. Sooo, we are going to have to juggle and find someone to babysit me.

Anyway, that really brought it home that THE BABY IS COMING SOON. Yikes! Am I not still too irresponsible to be a parent? I persist in thinking that Doritos and cheese make a fine dinner. And I do think Christmas candy is an acceptable breakfast. I am also a tiny bit afraid of our basement. Surely a Mother is not afraid of their own basement.

Our basement is really more of a...cellar? Dark, creepy, spidery, with a big hulking furnace.

The other thing I am afraid of is that Sea Monkey will get strangled on his cord. We are so close, but I know this can happen and I can't stop worrying about it. I think if my stupid placenta was not in the way and I could feel him move more I would not be so obsessed. He has to be in exactly the right spot for me to feel something, or he has to really whack me.

I told my ob it was just pointless for me to do kick counts.

The last thing I am afraid of is no big shock. Labor. My brain has actually shut down and refused to think of it. I can tiptoe up to it but I can't think about it actually happening. Even when I dream about having the baby- I never dream about labor. My brain just skips that part. We have our breathing and relaxation class tonight. Maybe that will help.

6 comments:

battynurse said...

Dorito's aren't an acceptable meal? Really? Cause that's what I'm sitting here eating for breakfast.
I'm with you on the basement thing. Basements are icky, nasty, creepy, crawly places.
Hope the next few weeks go smoothly for you.

Busted Kate said...

I just took a good, long look at that unicorn tattoo on your page. It it... um... supposed to look like the other unicorn is... ah hem... on the other one? If so, that's frickin hysterical.

If not, sorry I ruined your tattoo :-)

Lorraine said...

Creepy basements are on the list of things that are acceptable to be afraid of. So is labor, by the way - but at least that leads to a sweet new little baby. Basements usually just lead to cobwebs and possibly tetanus.

I was terrified of labor before my daughter was born. I couldn't imagine the kind of pain and trauma it would take to get a baby out of me. I think it's totally normal to be freaked out by the whole thing. BUT, once it starts some kind of chemicals take over and you kind of just feel like it's time and you can do it.

I also worry about the cord. But then, I worry about a lot of other rare possiblities, too. It's hard not to -you don't want to be that 1% person. Hopefully you'll have a lot of monitoring and it will put your mind at ease.

Probably not dreaming about labor is for the best...

Bionic Baby Mama said...

doritos = corn + cheese (sort of) + some kind of flavor junk that's bound to have vegetable matter in it somewhere, maybe onion powder or something? = carbs + protein + vegetable

sounds like a meal to me -- the extra cheese makes you almost like some kind of health nut, really.

areyoukiddingme said...

Doritos and cheese make a fine meal, until your child is able to ask what you're eating and if he can have some. Then you have to become more thoughtful...as in, don't let him see you eating the Doritos! Same with the Christmas candy.

As to the basement, well, if it's a scary basement, then what's the problem? We have a lovely walk-out basement with windows. And it's partially finished. And still, no one goes down there. It's not spooky, though; we're just lazy.

Labor...hmm...well it sucks, but there's not much point in worrying about it. It's not like you can stop it from coming once you hit a certain point - like you can't suddenly turn into an elephant and have a 2 year gestation period.

Maybe the Sea Monkey will lodge his little toes into your rib cage, like my daughter did. She moved some, but it was really the pressure on my ribs that told me she was just fine, because she was trying to make herself some more room by prying my rib cage open.

AnotherDreamer said...

Heck ya cheese and doritos are an acceptable meal! ;) LOL

My little brother is fourteen, and I had him over the weekend. You know what I fed him for breakfast? Leftover pizza and birthday cake. Nothing wrong with that, right? LOL

And hey, many people are afraid of their basements. I am one of them. This fear doesn't care who you are, lol.