Tuesday, April 13, 2010

All the cool people are up before dawn

That's right party people, up and at em by five. It is now nine and Peter is on his second nap. Which is great and all but how in the heck to I get him to sleep in THE NIGHTTIME? Bribes? Hot Babes? Voodoo? Anyway I am taking advantage of the temporary quiet by doing some house stuff.

I am choosing to look at the positive side. I have my darlingpreciousbaby. So what if I am thisclose to buttering and toasting my hand and then scratching my butt with a slice of bread cause I am so out of it? Today our wee man is four weeks old. They have flown by. It's crazy. We are both very happy with most of parenthood. If only there were more sleep. I am aware that I am as obsessed with sleep now as I was with food while I was pregnant. Well there is a REASON twenty year olds have kids and not thirty five year olds. When I was in my twenties I would go work all day then go out all night THEN take a shower and go back to work feeling no pain.

But exhaustion is a small thing compared to what we have. I feel like I am getting used to the whole NO SLEEP EVA thing. I have two cups of coffee( what? I NEED it) and a shower and can function till around eight at night. Then I hit a slump and fantasize about James Marsden rubbing my back and feeding me chocolate mousse. Sometimes I mix it up and he rubs my feet instead. I like variety in my fantasy life. I'd SAY I fantasize about sex but even my imagination is no match for what pregnancy has done to my body, it's UGLY lemme tell you UGLY.

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

That was my life with my daughter - we would be up in the wee hours, me singing "Ain't Misbehavin'" a hundred times in a row because it was for some reason the only thing that would calm her. I would see the neighbors sprinklers come on, the paper delivery guy, the sunrise. It would have been nice to have some dark quiet time alone with my baby if I hadn't been so zombified by the sleep deprivation.

I'm trying to remember what we did to get through that time. Sounds of the Brazilian Rainforest did help, turned up loud. Lots of burping - she had stuck burps that didn't come out with a few pats on the back - we had to burp her for a looong time and then a giant belch would finally come out and her whole body would go limp and she'd just relax and go to sleep.

Swing? Maybe try to find one at a used baby-thing store, just to try it. My daughter hated hers, so we didn't get one for this little guy. Maybe a moby-wrap? They really swaddle the baby against you and colicky babies seem to like that - plus it gives you two free hands.

All I can say is, you have my sympathies. On the plus side, my daughter is very together and calm as a kid - even at 18 months she was noticeably more collected that most kids. So, maybe the early days were worth it for years of easy?

Anonymous said...

Skye and I are living proff you can go without sleep for the first three years and NOT die. I feel for you sister and remember the days!

Anonymous said...

Oh look Zillie, I can't spell!LOL

Anonymous said...

Celia, this morning in the shower, I put shampoo ON MY FACE. That's how deliriously exhausted I am. I know what you are going through. I know how happy I am to have my Birdie, but damn I could use some sleep!