Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ugly

Last night was UGLY. I should have known when our day was so lovely. He is having his 9 a.m. nap. He has to have a bath today, yesterday he was so happy I could not bring myself to wreck it with a bath. But he spit up everywhere last night so a bath for sure today.

Last night he ate for at least three hours straight. My boobs feel mangled. They have never hurt before. I took some of my leftover Motrin. He did in fact sleep some last night, he went to bed at around 2 and slept till 4 and then 5 till 7 30.

I was so cranky last night all I wanted was a shower and all he wanted was to eat. I tried so hard to feed him and get him comfortable so I could get clean. I handed him over and went to the bathroom but I could hear Peter wailing. I came back out and he ate some more. I could not tell if he was eating for real or just comfort sucking. But I was so fidgity and sticky. I wish I could get some time to express milk. I am going to try again in a few minutes.

Not getting a shower really makes me feel gross. And Mister told me AGAIN that I have to sleep when Peter sleeps. QUIT IT. I swear, someone is going to say that to me and I am going to PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE. He told me my only job is to feed Peter and sleep when he sleeps and to do NO CHORES. Except when last I checked, there was no chore fairy. "Helllo Chore Fairy? Can you scrub the bathroom floor please? And then change the sheets, do three loads of laundry, put it away, wash the dishes, make my lunch, and haul out the carpet cleaner since Fiona threw up AGAIN yesterday? You CAN? You ROCK!"

Sorry, but seriously this shit is not gonna do itself. Tonight we are supposedly going shopping. We'll see how that goes.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Girl, I love you, but you do sound like you are trying to do a lot right now. It's totally ok for dinner to come from a box and for dishes to sit dirty and for carpets to go unvacuumed. I have barely done chores since the kid was born. Laundry (mostly diapers) are all I've really put on my to do list, and it can always wait. I think last night was only the second time I have cooked dinner (my husband has been learning and doing a pretty good job).

M's schedule varied a lot for a long time. So there were weeks where I would be glued to the chair with him and then I would get a couple of days with good naps and try tackling some extra house work those days. But there were many, many days when my husband came home and I hadn't even managed to put the diapers away (or shower). And I didn't apologize for it. DH has met our child, he know's it's tough. (However DH is smart enough to not tell me to sleep when the baby sleeps).

I know there is stuff that has to get done, but really, really, it's ok to have a dirty bathroom or whatever.

When you look back at this time, you're not going to remember if the house was clean or not, but that you were tired and running on empty if you aren't careful.

M was really needy, and hungry, so I totally know what it's like to just want a shower and not get one. In fact, it came to where I had a rule, if I got in the shower and he started crying, I was going to finish, dammit, because I wouldn't know when I would get one again. Those 10 minutes were all I would get to myself somedays. And I knew how angry I would be if I had to sit around smelling funky for even a few more hours.

Enjoy every minute as best that you can. Do what makes you and Peter happy and don't worry about anything else.

liz said...

have you tried putting him in a bouncy seat in the bathroom while you shower? my daughter loved the sound of the shower and the exhaust fan in the bathroom and usually by the time I was done showering she was asleep, even if she started out screaming. Then I would leave her there until she woke up, which was sometimes hours later. and even if he screams the whole time it's not like it is going to kill him to wait for 10 minutes while you get clean. It does make such a big difference to how you feel.

Melissa said...

i would recommend getting a hanheld steamer for the throw up! i think we have a little green machine or something that was omly 35 bucks. works great for the pet "issues" and we can go a month or two without steam cleaning the whole floor... and hubbys find them easy too.

other than that, you are doing awesome. i dont know how i would do what you do! 3 hours.. ouch! i loved the nipple butter (came with icepacks and sleeves that helped with pain of breastfeeding) at target...maybe those would help!

Suraita said...

I'm going to second the bouncy seat in the shower thing - it worked great when my daughter was cranky and/or not wanting to sleep. The first few times we tried it the seat was fine for about ten minutes and then it was horrid but one special day it became a magical place to chill out and maybe take a nap. Not so I could sleep when she slept - I'm convinced no one actually does that - but so I could get some time to myself in the shower and quick do some laundry.

I had a friend who used to drag the pack and play into her (very large) bathroom because that was the only place her son would hang out for her.

I hope you and Peter find a mom needs a shower routine that works for both of you!

Celia said...

I know, but I can't stand the house being like this. I know it's because Peter is a high maitainence baby. I am trying not to be crazy. I am trying to let the house go without beating myself up.

Anonymous said...

yeah, or you could go to a normal pediatrician that will give you some zantac for peter!

Anonymous said...

that was a joke, i hope it didn't piss you off, i'll stfu about the zantac.

aym said...

"Sleep when the baby sleeps" is bogus. No one does it. There are so many other things to do when the baby is hallelujah sleeping. Like, say, showering.

That said, housework is low priority now. When Peter is on some kind of regular sleep schedule, hooray, start folding laundry. Till then, screw it.

Anonymous said...

I will third the bouncy seat in the bathroom while you shower. That was the only way I got a shower for the first 10 weeks. Now I can take a quick shower while she naps in the morning. I'd better go do that now before she wakes up!

And I have to agree with Amanda. I know it is infuriating when people say to sleep when the baby sleeps, but if you don't sleep, at least take that time to rest a little.

I felt so awful about our house being such a disaster, but it's true, when you look back at this time you won't think about how messy your house was. You will just remember how great it was that you got to enjoy (or sometimes just endure) this stage of Peter's life. It is perfectly okay to let the chores go for a while and eat takeout or frozen food.

I will also say that Birdie became a different baby after the Zantac. So much easier. I wish your pediatrician would let you try it. Our pediatrician's view on it is that if you try meds and it helps, then it was reflux. If it doesn't help, then there was really no harm in trying. He did have us try elevating her for a week and feeding smaller amounts, but after that didn't help much we called them and they called in the prescription.